Ads

Friday, August 16, 2013

Stomach Bloating and Gastric Pain

Being someone who is rather new to gastric pain but is an old-hand at getting stomach bloating, I thought I should share some of my experience and how I handled those problems.

First of all, recognise the symptoms. This is very important. Usually, people will dismiss a minor gastric pain as a simple stomach bloating problem, but then the pain got worse. By then, they have a full-blown gastric pain on their hands and at least have to suffer awhile until the medicine takes effect. I'm one of those people, however, now I know better :P

In short though, for gastric pain, the pain is absolutely indescribable... just imagine a sore stomach being wrung very hardly and  repeatedly (the pain is somewhat persistent, but the really bad parts [super painful parts] usually come in waves) + nauseous feeling  + headache.

And if it's coupled with bloating, you'll get the sensation whereby you feel like you've been pumped full of air in the midsection of your upper abdomen (which is below your chest). My best description of the location of the pain would be that it's located between the lowest part of my ribcage - there's a tender (no-bone) area between the left and right ribs. You may or may not see that aforementioned location become inflated, like a balloon. I've got cases whereby my stomach bloated up so much until I look like I was 3-month pregnant... Honest! I believe there are other people having even worse cases of stomach bloating though.

Well, I've described the symptoms as well as I can but what of the treatment? For me, I'll put some Minyak Angin (I don't think there is any English word for this, but you can go google it if you don't know what it is) if I have bloating at the site of pain and at the lower part of your back (right above your buttocks). This should help eliminate air from your stomach. For gastric, first eat/drink something nutritious (not water and don't take cold drinks. If you want to eat, eat something that is light and requires minimal chewing. And ofc, don't eat/drink anything that is very acidic - like coca cola/any other soft drinks) - for example, a warm cup of Milo/hot chocolate/cereal drink/milk, fruits such as banana, or some biscuits/bread/bun. Remember not to eat too much or eat too fast.

Next, I usually chew then swallow 1-2 (depending on the severity of the gastric pain) Actal medicine. It works great for me (not instantly though, but the effect can be felt rather quickly - like within 20 mins, the pain should totally subsided) and it comes in a minty flavour which I kinda like. Chewing before swallowing helps the medicine to work faster, you can choose to just swallow it like any other pill. You may use water to wash down the medicine in this case.

Note that there may be other effective gastric pain medicine out there but I only recommend something that I've actually used before. If you have any good experience using other brands of gastric pain medicine, feel free to share the medicine brand in the comments below and perhaps say a few words on how effective it is (For example, how long before it takes effect? Does it taste bitter? etc).

Lastly, don't expect that you can be right as rain instantly... you have to get some rest, especially after suffering from such horrendous pain. So, get an hour's nap or so (usually I just sleep until the next morning lol or until night time) when the pain isn't too much for you to bear anymore.

I guess that just summed up my experience with gastric pain and stomach bloating. If you want to do some reading up on these two problems, check out these sites. I find them to be most informative. Stay healthy and enjoy!

http://www.yogawiz.com/blog/home-remedies/gastric-symptoms-and-cure.html
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/11/21/a-taxonomy-of-tummy-bloating

No comments:

Post a Comment