Ads

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

uTorrent Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (WriteToDisk)

Well, I had a few stuff to torrent and this error popped up.. which is weird as I was able to torrent perfectly well yesterday.

Needless to say, a quick search through the internetz yielded solutions :) So I thought I could put it here in simpler terms so nabs like me could understand :P

Okay here goes!


This error occurs due to a few common reasons

  1. The name of the path is too long. Meaning that the file name+the place the file will be saved into has more than the allowed 256 letters. So you should first remove the torrent+data from the list of torrents, then cut down on the file name or just straight save it onto your desktop (then transfer them afterwards) after you restarted the torrent download. 
  2. The file name, somehow, has a full stop at the end. This is deemed unacceptable by uTorrent hence the error lol :P So, the easy way is first remove the torrent+data from the list of torrents, then delete the dot if you see it when you restart the torrent download.
  3. The place that you want to save the file in is invalid. This was the problem I faced. I was so used to everything going into my Downloads folder that I didn't notice this somehow had become blank lol - must have accidentally deleted it or something. So, just put a valid path there (a Read-Only location is NOT a valid path btw) for it to save your file into once you've done the 'remove the torrent+data from the list of torrents' and ' restart the torrent download' - for example C:\User\*your computer user name*\Downloads, then you're done!
In summary, here's a pictorial guide:


That's all I guess. There might be plenty more solutions out there (which ofc may be applicable to you depending on the cause of your error. P/S: You may get the same error which was caused by different problems.)

Good luck! :)


24 comments:

  1. hi i wanna thank u man, it worked for me, i removed dot on the end and start download :) it wass werry useful information, thanx alot again..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful and easy to follow. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks =) was very helpful!
    Another WAY too common problem: make sure the directory you set as the download location is NOT Read-Only

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a read-only location is categorised as an invalid location. Glad this is of some help to you :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for your post! After reading many others', yours was the one that solved the problem for me. Like your case, somehow the location for where the downloads were supposed to ended up blank. As soon as I added it, voila, it worked again. By the way, I didn't have any stray dots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've tried everything but no succes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These listed reasons (and their respective solutions) are only the most common ones that I can find. Your error may be caused by a more uncommon problem.

      My advice is try it again, taking care to double check everything and if all else fails, re-install the program. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  6. thanks for sharing your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I managed to fix utorrent with your explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! Game of Thrones is now downloading. Awesome - I appreciate the info you have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ive been stuck on this for weeks! number 3 saved me too - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the same problem? :P Glad that I could help!

      Delete
  10. thank u so much its very helpful thnk u

    ReplyDelete
  11. ive been searching for many solution and this is all i need, thank u for this info...

    ReplyDelete