Ads

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Finding the title or abbreviation for a journal

Unfortunately for me, I use Mendeley as my citation manager and mine's kinda broken in the sense that it is SUPPOSED to convert all my journal names into abbreviations BUT IT DIDN'T (dang1 dang1 dang1 dang3...). Oh the horror when I realised that I don't know enough to edit the template (of codes) and that I had to do everything MANUALLY... T.T

Anyway, in order to find the proper abbreviations for my journal names, I stumbled across this extremely helpful website: http://www.library.illinois.edu/biotech/j-abbrev.html which had introduced me to this search tool: http://cassi.cas.org/search.jsp

So, how does it work? You just need to input your journal title into the box provided and it'll list out all the associated journals (that have the name that you've typed). You choose the one that you want and bam! You can get the abbreviation. Now just imagine doing that over and over for 50+ references! ... lol :P Absolute fun I'd say!
A screenshot of the search tool

Sigh, why don't just journals allow references with full journal names... what a bother!

Update: so apparently my Mendeley fixed itself lol and all my references are changed into their abbreviated forms but I still need to check them to see if the in-built abbreviations in Mendeley is correct or not, so CASSI is the perfect tool to use! :)

Note: Not all journals are listed unfortunately, but it does include all of the most common ones as well as some of the more obscure ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment