Ads

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Expeditions: Conquistadors review and tips/hints

This is a pretty unique game - a create-your-own-adventure, gamebook-sort game :) You are a capitan from Spain who are leading a group of troops to the uncharted lands. Each member of your group have their own stories and opinions but if you do it right, you'll get their respect and devotion. Oh but a quick tip here, it's better if you choose your expedition members with the 'proud' characteristic (so you can easily increase their loyalty) and avoid 'pious/racist' (these characteristics posed most trouble for me, especially if you want to recruit locals into your expedition or turn a blind eye to the natives' harmless rituals - I abhor human sacrifices though :P)

Devoted followers woots =) I have this title among the natives too - Venerable :)

The combat system is pretty straight forward - I could take on all the combat situations using only upgraded scouts, knights and a doctor. But in certain cases, straight-up attack is unfavourable, especially in the 'Fortify' quest where you are vastly outnumbered (6 of you, 18 of the enemy... lol. How I wish they[the game devs] let us bring more troops) or in the 'Kill Montezuma' quest [yes, I decided to topple the Aztecs lol :P] where there are like spike traps all over the grassy places. In these cases, build barricades and make choke holds so the enemy cannot flank you and they will be forced to attack you one/two at a time. But do bear in mind barricades can be destroyed so prepare some back up retreat place. Oh and a tip, save before you do any part of a quest/combat for easy re-loading, just in case you failed somehow.

A very general strategy plan for the quest - Fortify. Btw I drew this by memory - I have already uninstalled the game like ages ago so I might be mistaken about the details but well, yeah, generally this is how I got through the Fortify quest.

My inventory - had loads more loot stashed at my fortress :)
And well, for the first map, there are two quests with rather difficult-to-find quest location, so here they are - marked in the screenshots below:
'The Lost Detachment' or is it 'The Medallion' quest? hmm anyways, one of them is the sequel to the other so yeah. If you need to find the missing patrol, here they are.

Now this one is a real b**** to find - anyways, with a time limit to the quest, this place could be a  real hard one to complete plus you can't cut through the middle of the forest patch to get there either - you'll need to go there from either through the mountains from the left side or through the beach on the right. 
There's also a weird thing with the second map whereby you have to kill Citlalli - the leader of the Amazon tribe. I found their village - it's very clearly marked on the map - but I can't seem to actually go there. There's just this forest patch on the exact spot where the village is supposed to be lol. So yea, had to skip that quest.
EDIT: I've just realised they might be wandering around, but well, I was circling the area but I had no luck finding them so, unfortunately, I can't give you the locations... sorry! Good luck finding them though! :) Source 

Oh and another advice for map 2 (the mexico map), it's easier if you rile up both sides - the Totonoc and the Aztecs before you attack either one. However, it seems that if you attack both (for the glory of Spain lol), you'll get better ending I think - I just attacked the Aztecs :P. Establishing new allies and trade routes doesn't seem to cut it for the Spanish monarch lol. 

Overall, this game is a must-play for gamebook+computer game fans. The story is very well written and the minor stories that pops up during your travels is a very welcome distraction from the dreary long journey lol. I especially like that part where a champion native tried to win my(the lady capitan's) affections although I'm already very unexpectedly married to a wealthy tribechief's son (also a native) lol. It's just cute and funny.



No comments:

Post a Comment