Ads

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Some tips to drastically reduce PDF file size - compressing and resaving

For me, when I tried to upload my scanned academic transcript for scholarship application - the upload limit got me befuddled. So, I had a few headaches in trying to compress my file size from 900+kb to 280kb (the upload limit given).

Despite the advice on this site being helpful, I quickly realised that compressing my PDF size is not a solution - compressing can only reduce so much size (around 200kb) and it would be a miracle for my file to become 280kb via only compressing. Though, if you still want to compress your PDF, I highly recommend using this. It's an online PDF compressing site and it's the site that has successfully compressed my 900+kb to 700+kb. Best of all? It's free :)

Anyways, so, well, here's something that I found out.

Initially, I scanned my files as JPEG files then placed them in word to be converted to PDF (yeah, yeah, my scanner's software is crap - I cannot straight scan the images into PDF lol). The PDF size that I got via this method is the 900+kb one.

Anyways, the problem lies there - JPEG is a 'good quality' image format (while .gif is a 'low quality' image format and .bmp is a 'high quality' image format FYI) - so I just need to resave all my scanned, JPEG images into GIF , then proceed as usual -- put them into word, then save as PDF. Voila! My resulting file size? 218kb =) Although the files are rather bad quality, well, wth, who told you guys to put a stupidly low upload limit lol. It's still readable... if you strain your eyes. Haha.

Okay so there's my secret to ultimately reduce your PDF file size... lol. Have fun!

P/S: How to resave the jpeg files into gif? Well, you can use the simplest software of all - Paint. Just open the file with Paint. Then choose 'Save As' instead of just 'Save'. Then select, from the dropdown menu at the bottom, GIF format. Then you're done! :)


This tip is tailored for Windows users only. For other OS users, I dunno lah~ the concept can still be used. Though for Mac users, there's an extra compressing method for you guys (as mentioned in the link provided above in the text). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment