Ads

Friday, March 14, 2014

Damn supervisors

I don't know about other people's supervisors, but some supervisors (my, in particular) can be really rude. I mean, you can see that the chairs were taken (half-eaten meals on the table) and I have already said, without them asking, that I will bring them chairs and that I needed a few minutes to get the chairs, but noes.... he just took my chair and told the other guy to sit in my colleague's chair. WTF. I reckon he's the sort of people who will be like flashing lights at other slightly slower cars (who are following the speed limit) and is speeding dangerously on the highway.

No, excuse me, but is this seat taken (although it was obvious that it is)? No "excuse me, may you help me get some chairs please?" I'm your student, but I do not DESERVE to be treated like a servant... Which age do you think you are living in right now? Can't you afford any courtesy at all; any proper manners for a fellow HUMAN BEING? Even in my family, if I wanted to ask for help from my parents, I will ask politely; and if they needed my help with something, they will also ask politely. For example, 'Dad, would you mind passing that chair to me please?' or 'SY, could you possibly make a powerpoint slide for my KRS students? I need it tomorrow.' [Btw, the second example is a real question asked by my mom to me.] And we always say 'thank you' after the job's done. That's how it should be!

I have to pick up after him some more... He's a messy eater and the table and carpeted floor are littered with his food (the other people took care not to drop any food or at least they have the manners to pick up after themselves)... guess what? I had to pick up his leftovers while he's 'socializing' with other lecturers or checking his phone and since my 'seniors' pretended not to see. 

Heck, one of them is not actually my 'senior' (in terms of the number of years in our lab/group) at all! Although she is older than me ofc. Fck, research labs and hierarchy is so fcked up. I will forever be the 'junior' who has to do all the shit that nobody wants to do because my supervisor is not taking in anymore students (no more funds lol).

Actually, after writing this, I find it funny that I'm ranting about my supervisor's lack of manners. I do have lapses from time to time, but this is just ridiculous! This was not the first time, so I'm pretty certain this is not a lapse.

It's also funny that while my supervisor is finding flaws in me (since I do not conform to his idea of an ideal postgrad student. Damn idealist... with power lol), I'm ranting about the flaws in him here. I should have just said directly in his face (without trying to help him 'save face'), 'Excuse me, but that's my chair you're sitting on. Can you please return it to me? I will get [nicer] chairs for you and the other PhD.' 

Anyway, I ended up having a better and more comfortable chair (At first, I wanted to get these chairs for them, but since he prefers my butt-heated chair, nvm lor~) since he so rudely took mine. I'm still somewhat mad though when I think back of the incident today.

No comments:

Post a Comment