Ads

Saturday, January 18, 2014

My tuition experience - being a part-time tutor

If you wanted a complete story, well unfortunately, I cannot give you one :) Every day that I went there for work, I'll get different stories to tell, different frustrating kids to handle (kids' moods changes week from week lol. He/she can be the nicest angel in the first month of tuition, but become a really annoying kid who kept taking your stuff from your bag even you told him/her not to...). I suppose I can only write for those stories that I recalled the best and they may not be all nice and fluffy.... kids can be real mean/bad some times.

There's this standard 2 science class that I taught. The kids in there are like the rowdiest of all the classes that I taught. They can scream and yell ALL CLASS LONG. Seriously.... and I ran out of energy to try to control my class and tell them off at the same time.... especially when they knew that I can do absolutely nothing to actually punish them. It was not like when I was young, where we (the kids of that time) were so afraid of the almighty CANE. One whip of that and you'll get a painful red scar across your palm/butt/thigh (depends on which part the teacher hit you at lol). I'm not exactly the kind of person who would cane a child either so.... all I can really do is yell for them to shut up, get back to their seats and do their homework. Anyway, let's just say it's a really tough class to teach but one day, once most of the kids have left, the hyperactive kid as well as a hardworking kid (the only 2 kids left in the class) said to me, 'Terima kasih, cikgu.' (Thank you, teacher.) multiple times. And those words made teaching more bearable and now I do believe that I understand why my parents love to be teachers so. My dad used to proudly tell me about this teachers' day card that he received from a student. The student addressed him as "the nicest teacher in the world". And my mom, well, she's gotten plenty of gifts from her little students as well. Some of them are rather thoughtful gifts, and some are just the usual red pens, but to her, she was touched all the same when she received those gifts. :)

In another case, I would often draw stuff to hint at the answer to a question or to help explain something that I cannot put in simpler terms. Instead of being happy because they get a picture to guess at, they will be like 'Teacher, I can draw better than you. That's kids' drawing.' or 'What is that?' ... lol. I refuse to believe that my drawing skills are so bad lol and they aren't, haha, I'm just exaggerating. The 'what is that?' scenario did not happen very often. Most of the time, they will only criticise my drawings by telling me that my drawings look like their little brother's (or sister's) drawings. Considering that these kids are 8 years old and below, I'm feeling extremely depressed to hear that lol. Well, not really. xD

One of the drawings from a std 2 student  for Christmas :) I ended the class a bit earlier than usual and let them have some fun on the whiteboard :P

There was a time when I can teach each individual student (it's a small class of students) and I love it. It's simple and straightforward (not much student control and more to the real stuff, the teaching) and I like to believe that the kids that I taught had learned a lot during those times (it's a holiday class so yeah, the class is like really really small :P). That's kinda the best times for me and well, since the class is smaller, I can actually give gifts (like jellies and sugary food stuff :P) to students that did well. Now leh.... hehe. Better not... since they are soooo naughty.

Honestly though, from the stories that some of these kids told me, they are forced to attend tuition classes after tuition classes, from Monday to Sunday. I truly pity them. I believe in going to tuition only when it's beneficial to you, but not because your parents are too busy to take care of you (or they don't want to spend money on daycare I suppose). As much as I pity them, I do understand their parents' dilemma and for their problem, there may not be a very clear-cut solution. Perhaps sending their kids to endless tuition classes is the best choice for them.

Oh yeah and for those who are thinking of going down this line to earn some extra cash, don't be fooled (like me). The pay is pretty much low as compared to the time you needed to put into it to prepare the teaching materials (it's like OMGAWD sooooo many stuff to finish before the next semester) and putting that EQ of yours through a very testing time lol. I'll never understand why people like to underpay teachers... even part-time ones. But anyway, I've heard that my current job is, so far, the highest paying part-time job that I can find LOL (I suck terribly at job finding, heh). So... wth, just gritting my teeth and do as well as I can I suppose.



P/S: That's all for now, and considering that I have stacks of books yet marked... (I feel like crying liao lah T.T) this is quite a lot to write lol. I'll add more or maybe write a part II when I recall more stuff from my previous teaching days :P

No comments:

Post a Comment