Ads

Thursday, September 5, 2013

UTAR Biotech promotional piece

So, my lecturer from UTAR asked me (UTAR alumni) to write a quote for UTAR biotech's programme promotion purposes so this is what I've wrote... I suspect it's a bit too much... and maybe a bit fake lol :P Ah well, I've tried hehe



Why I studied at UTAR?


Honestly, I went there because I was offered a full scholarship for foundation :) But that being said, I was glad I went to UTAR. The experience of being able to study in the most beautiful and serene university that I've ever known is unbeatable. The top-notched quality of the lecturers there and the superb service provided by the staff - I won't be surprised if UTAR managed to enter the international top 100 universities list within 5 years are some of the best things that makes learning so much easier at UTAR. The memories and knowledge that I brought with me into the working life from UTAR are something that will stay with me for the rest of my life.


Why I choose Biotech?

I love the concept of being able to combine both technology and biology (two of my favourite subjects). To me, after studying biotech for 3 years at UTAR, biotech is something like a jack-of-all-trades - it touches on a lot of fields in biology, chemistry and on some computer stuff. Some examples are biochem, biomed, chemistry, bioinformatics, microbiology, fermentation, tissue culture, biodiversity and etc. By covering a wide variety of subjects, biotech UTARians are able to learn more and, at the same time, have a wider variety of jobs to choose from after graduation.


How has it contributed to my current work?

Being a postgrad student, the education that I've obtained from UTAR has become my strong foundation where my current postgrad education is building up on. With a strong understanding of underlying principles and concepts, I can solve problems in my research more easily.

In addition, from my personal experience during an interview for a sales position at a umbilical cord storage company, I mentioned that I've went to a soft skills seminar on Blue Ocean Strategy. I managed to explain what I've learned from the seminar and even gave the interviewer an example. The interviewer had shown utmost interest in what I have to say on this strategy and perhaps that's why I received a job offer a few days after (which I've had to turn down due to deciding to further my studies).


Graduation batch: 2009/2012
Current position: Msc student at Infectomic Cluster, AMDI, USM
Work Location: Bertam, Penang

No comments:

Post a Comment