Ads

Monday, October 7, 2013

Body went into shock - The unfortunate story of me slamming a door onto my thumb

Yes, why this title you may wonder? Well, here's the story...

My bf and I were buying some stuff and were returning to the lab. After he parked his car, as usual, I went out from the car and shut the door. But this time, instead of ONLY shutting the door, I had just slammed my right thumb along with it. 

So there I was, staring at my stuck thumb and was numbly trying to tug it out.

But soon right after, my senses came back to me and I quickly open the door and wrench my thumb out.

The injury was gruesome...

Blood was welling out from underneath the top of my nail (my nail caught the brunt of the damage) and from the bottom part of the nail where it meets the skin. Bruises and signs of internal bleeding appeared almost instantly all over my injured thumb. 

And there I was staring in horror at my thumb, then I started making weird animal noises (squeaking, more like) and was clutching my right hand in pain. Tears welled up in my eyes - but I didn't cry, surprisingly - and I forced them back down with some quick blinking. 

I needed treatment and fast!

My bf quickly drove me to the nearby USM hospital and I got the treatment I desperately needed.... the whole thumb is like throbbing and numb (sort of like pins and needles) the whole time. Sometimes, sharp stabs of pain will make me clench my teeth real tight. It was horrible and I suffered through it all while holding back tears.

The doctor told me that it's lucky that I 'tersepit' the top of my thumb, because if it's any other finger (that has 3 digits/bones), I'll probably need an X-ray to see if my bone is cracked or broken. The top of the thumb is only soft cartilage and should survive the nasty encounter. However, due to the severe injury to the thumb nail... my nail might get loose and fall off. And ofc, there is still the danger of swelling and infection, though the latter is pretty unlikely (I've gotten the treatment, which ofc included disinfection, as fast as I could, hence, reducing the chance of infection)

After bandaging and stuff, I suddenly feel very nauseous and dizzy. Both my hands and my legs are feeling numb (pins and needles) as well.

I believe that when I slammed that door onto my thumb, the pain of it sent my body into shock - forcing my body's muscles to involuntary contract and stay contracted (in shock) until I started feeling the effects of having muscles contracted for a long period of time (nauseous and dizziness).

Imagine! Not only my hands' muscles are affected, my legs are as well... so is my stomach muscles.... because well, I just had my lunch like 30 mins ago and my stomach muscle contracted so much that it threatened to heave my lunch right out from my mouth lol. The way to relax the muscles? Well, I did deep breathing. The awareness that your body suddenly clenches up does help too lol :P

The doctor gave me some painkillers and a tube of antibiotic cream for my injury. Once I'm back in the lab, I downed one painkiller immediately lol. Hence, I can drive back on my own - even though the thumb for my 'main driving hand' is injured. 

And now, since I can no longer pipette stuff or in general, do any lab work, I'm on a week's long medical leave. I'm not even sure that I should be happy or sad.

Am currently waiting for the painkiller to wear off... then, -hah!- the real horror will return all in its glory... Haiz... I'm out!


Updated: My thumb's getting better, no swelling or infection and I get to keep my thumb nail... not that you would want to know lol. Anyway, I'm doing some physiotherapy for it by trying to grip stuff and lift items. So far, I can only hold light items. The tip of my thumb and the nail part is still sore if I accidentally press on it too much. I guess I'll still need a few more days to see if it will get better before I start driving long distances again. :)

Updated again: Did a bit of grammar editing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment