Ads

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

On writing an abstract

Source: PhD Comics

I find this site particularly useful. Try answering all these questions then combine the answers into sentences that will make up your abstract.

Enjoy! :)

Motivation: Why do we care about the problem and the results?
Problem statement: What problem are you trying to solve?
Approach: How did you go about solving or making progress on the problem? Did you use simulation, analytic models, prototype construction, or analysis of field data for an actual product?
Results: What's the answer?
Conclusions: What are the implications of your answer? Is it going to change the world (unlikely), be a significant "win", be a nice hack, or simply serve as a road sign indicating that this path is a waste of time (all of the previous results are useful)?
Source: http://adf.ly/qwF7r and http://adf.ly/qwF93


Another excellent guide to writing an abstract:
http://adf.ly/qwFAC

Btw, I like how she wrote that she was attached to her words.... I do that too! xD Hence, I'll rather be cutting words like 'the' or 'a' than the 'cool' phrases or words that I've managed to squeeze into my writing. :P


And if you're wondering why I suddenly have an interest in writing abstracts.... well, let's just say I've finally gotten a pm (personal message for you nabs out there ;P) from a potential client on one of my Fiverr gigs :D
So, yeah, even though I have absolutely no experience in writing abstracts, I believe that I can write a good one.... and based on this belief, I'll have to write one xD

No comments:

Post a Comment