Ads

Monday, February 10, 2014

More funny tuition anecdotes

So, yesterday, during my science class for standard 2 kids, one of the exercises called for 5 volunteers to write down their weight, height and size of their waist, and then compare them. I asked my class of 10+ students for volunteers and I got an overwhelming number of volunteers. At that time, I emphasized that I'll only choose those who know their weight and height and the chosen 5 said they knew.

The first girl said she is 40kg and I nearly burst out laughing. She, a very skinny eight year old girl, is 40kg? Ahahah. Then I asked her if she's sure and she very confidently and persistantly said 40kg is her weight. And when it comes to height, she said she is 30cm. Then, the other 4 chosen people started bombarded me with their 'height'. I was getting 30-40cms from them. LOL. It was then I totally lost it. I chuckled out loud and asked my class if anyone has a long ruler. The longest that they have. 

A kid brought me 2 long rulers. Then, holding the rulers, I turned to the class and said, 'You see these long rulers? Each one of them is 30cm-long and I'm very sure you are not 30-cm in height.'

In the end, I allowed them to use the long rulers to estimate their height and the values that I get are more reasonable now - 100cm+ :P

Kids, right? xD

* I would have put in the reference to the Kingdom of Lilliput (little people) but I knew the kids will not understand, so I didn't. :P

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And oh, this's one's a real hooter. So, this Standard 3 boy in my English essay writing class refused to do his work until to his horror, he realised that I actually meant it when I said he will have to stay back after class to finish his work. If not, he won't be able to go home. So, after seeing his friends left the classroom and seeing new students filing in (as well as the tuition teacher for the next class), he started vigorously writing. 

Needless to say in his haste, he 'ate up' (skipped) a lot of words and one of his sentences is particularly hilarious. Check out his sentence number 5. ;)
Well if his handwriting is too difficult to read, it says 'I accidentally spilled hot water on my balls.'
I had to practically cover my mouth to stop myself from bursting out in laughter. :P Heheh

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In that same English essay writing class, there was an exercise on designing a menu for your (imaginary) newly opened restaurant. I taught them the various Asian dishes that they can include in their menu and after that, I asked them to add in the prices for their dishes. To my surprise, the kids gave me this:

Fried spring rolls - RM 10
Fried mee - RM50

I would have thought kids that age (9 years old) would have no understanding of the word 'inflation' but well, interestingly, through this exercise, I suppose they did subtly know lol. Hence, the ridiculous pricing on all of their dishes on their menu.

Then, I told them, 'Wah, all of your food at your restaurant are SOOOO expensive, ah? I don't want to go eat at your restaurant liao lor.' We all laughed :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was another case where a naughty standard 3 boy took a girl's pencil and ran around the classroom, refusing to return it to her (my back was turned at that time - gah). Anyway, the girl yelled 'Teacher!!' and at that exact moment when I was turning back from the board to look at what hellstorm that has happened behind of me, I saw that naughty boy slipped and fell right on his butt. Haha, serves him right. That's karma for you.

Then I told him, 'See? You wanted to annoy the girl but in the end, who paid the price? It's you.'

I'm glad to say that the boy became way more obedient after that incident that had left him with a painful butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment